Monday, May 13, 2013

My personal reasons for breastfeeding

Seriously, what is this face about?


There are a lot of great reasons to breastfeed your baby. I'm not a doctor or a scientist, so I won't get into the medical benefits of breastfeeding, but I will tell you why I do it myself.

  • No prep work required. I don't have to mix anything, bottle anything up, or worry about how sanitary the water is. My milk comes out at exactly the right temperature, so I don't have to warm any bottles up either.
  • My boobs stay huge. Seriously, I took that into consideration. I consider it a perk. I imagine my husband does too.
  • Portability. My boobs go everywhere I do, therefore I can breastfeed anywhere. Oh yes, I BIP (Breastfeed In Public), thus the name of my blog.
  • I have been told by my midwife that breastfeeding burns as many calories as running 7 miles. So now I don't feel bad about eating two bowls of cereal for breakfast, or saying yes please to second helpings of brownies!
  • It's good for baby. My breast milk is designed to nourish my baby, specifically. We are made for each other :)
  • Breast milk is free! I make it myself, and I'm not about to charge me for it.
  • Breast milk is SAFE. I read some study once that recommended that women nurse their babies for two to three years, rather than switch their children to cows' milk at age one. The main reason for that is that cows are pumped full of hormones to help them produce more milk. Also, when you buy cows' milk you are buying the milk of hundreds of cows all mixed together. That's weird.
  • I have a great excuse for not doing the dishes. "Sorry, honey, baby's been cluster feeding all afternoon and evening. I haven't been able to do a thing!"

Now here is a picture of a baby hippo, for no reason other than that it is cute:

No comments:

Post a Comment