Friday, May 17, 2013

Baby's needs trump comfort zone!

I received another email with a great BIP story to share with you. This one comes from Kathryn:

Hey, I am Kathryn and a mother to two girls. My newest sweet addition is two month old Lula. I exclusively breastfeed, and this little miss knows exactly what she wants- the real thing. She absolutely refuses pacifiers and bottles, which has forced me to accept the fact that regardless of my shyness about nursing in public, it has to be done.
     In the beginning, I (tried) using a nursing cover. Luckily my first nursing in public experience was at her first doctors appointment. I tried so hard to put off feeding her until we were called back, only to have a screaming hungry baby. I cautiously fed my baby under the nursing cover, and I could feel everyone staring. Then came letdown, my baby gulped air and let out a scream and I knew she needed to be burped. As I tried to position her, the cover got pulled and exposed my whole breast! Of course, everyone just happened to be staring at this point! I felt myself turn red and seriously thought about going to the bathroom to finish this feeding. Just that moment, her name was called and I could leave my embarrassment out in the waiting room.
     Lula never liked the nursing cover, she would sweat under it and fuss. To be quite honest, as modest as I wanted to be I didn't like it either. It drew more attention and made nursing a hassle. I ditched the cover and started wearing a tank top under whatever shirt I wore, this way while in public I could pulled the tank top down and the shirt up, only exposing my breast enough for Lula to latch on and when burping her I simply hold her over the breast exposed. I still get second-glances at times and the occasional stare, but it's something I've grown comfortable with. My baby's needs come first, and anyone who doesn't like that has to deal with it themselves.
    
I absolutely love my breastfeeding experience, and I am proud of our success. Nursing my daughter is such a bonding experience and it feels amazing to meet her nutritional needs in the healthiest and most natural way. Breastfeeding may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't have it any other way!


Kathryn and baby Lula

No comments:

Post a Comment