Thursday, July 4, 2013

Big Latch On!


Yesterday I came across a website: BigLatchOn.org. After perusing the site, I came to a conclusion: I have GOT to be a part of this.

Basically, it’s a worldwide nurse-in. Local chapters can meet at the park, somebody’s back yard, a business, a WIC office, anywhere! As long as there are two or more women and their babies present, it’s considered part of the Big Latch On. Nursing mothers and witnesses meet in their pre-chosen location and at 10:30 am (local time) the women put their babies to the breast and have them latch on for at least one minute. The witnesses count the women with babies latched on, and after the event is concluded the event host/hostess reports the numbers back to BigLatchOn.org. Last year’s total was over 8,800 latches!

This year, the event is being held on two days. Friday, August 2nd and Saturday, August 3rd. I decided, within an hour of learning about this, that I was going to host the local chapter of The Big Latch On. I can’t help it, I’m impulsive and spontaneous like that. Anyway, my new friend Cynthia has offered to assist me in hosting this event. We have already made a Facebook page for our local event and begun to brainstorm about possible local sponsors.

Militant Lactivists of Garfield County, Colorado UNITE!

We have exactly one month to plan and prepare for this event. We are holding ours on Saturday, August 3rd. I figured a weekend would work better for the majority of possible participants. I’ve even contacted our local parks & recreation department about reserving one of the larger parks for the event. Hopefully we’ll have a big turn-out.

Because I’m so excited about this, don’t be surprised if I blog about it a lot in the next 30 days. And possibly after that, too, if all goes well.

And if you’re a nursing momma in Garfield County, be at Two Rivers Park on August 3rd to join The Big Latch On!

No comments:

Post a Comment